Never Enough Time

From unexpected amounts of work, to technical difficulties, to unavailable resources… Always expect the unexpected, and be ready to accommodate your project timeline. There is never enough time to accommodate for everything, but with this open mindset you can be more prepared for the unexpected.

On my team’s project (VR experience with bipolar disorder), we have had many things not go as smoothly as anticipated. At the beginning, we encountered several technical difficulties and delays in getting equipment. Throughout the course of this project, it has been harder and harder to get time and space in the Perform Studio (room with motion capture and spatial audio systems). We also spent a good chunk of our time learning and adjusting to switching from a laptop with an Oculus Rift to a VR backpack. The VR backpack is essentially a computer that you strap to your back with an Oculus Rift for the VR portion. This backpack has been great, as it allows our user to move about a larger area without having to worry about wires, allowing for a more immersive experience. It has had its downsides, particularly with connecting to other systems, such as the motion capture system.

My team has had to adjust and roll with the punches – which I feel like we’ve done quite well. We have had to readjust our expectations and goals to fit what we can actually produce in the time we’re given. Obviously we would have loved to go more in depth with our project and iterate on our experience to really invoke empathy, but I think we have done well with our actual progress considering our challenges. We have worked really hard to get all the equipment and space working together for an immersive experience. If I could tell myself anything before I started this project, it would be to request the studio space early and often, get everyone to learn Unity, and try to be done early (so you have time to correct and debug, or iterate on a previous design).

Besides learning about everything unexpected that could happen on this project happen, Creative Computing Studio has given me some invaluable lessons. This course has really given me a new perspective of liveness and live performances. It has been a challenge to find a good way to present our topic of mental illness and depict it well to an audience. It has brought about more creative solutions than I have ever previously thought about. It has also given me experience with collaborative creation – this class has really given me a chance to connect with my peers to create something artistic and meaningful, rather than just discussing which data structures to use.

Overall, I have really enjoyed this course and project. I have learned a lot and have gained valuable experience with different, new technologies, creative collaboration, and presentation. Particularly with live demonstrations, expect the unexpected. Learn from failures and do better the next time. My one regret is running out of time to make this project what we wanted to make it, with more in-depth interactions and experiences. Lesson for myself: there’s never enough time, particularly for a perfectionist.