How I Learned To Build A Game

This semester my team and I built a game from scratch and I learned a lot. As a team we decided to forgo any established game engines and essentially build the game and its components from the ground up. This process helped pull back the curtain on things that I thought were incredibly complicated and led to a deeper understanding on how games actually work.  When learning about designing games we were thrown into the deep end and learned step by step and never took on too much at a time. We started building the game very simply, originally just colored squares moving around the screen, and were able to build it into a fun and unique multiplayer experience. I think we were able to accomplish what we did because of the way we approached the work. We each worked independently but also helped each other when problems did arise. We each worked on small parts of the game a week or so at a time and then would combine our individual contributions.

If I had to choose one takeaway from this course it would be: Planning and dividing work is the number one thing to make team work effectively. This is the first class with a group project that I believe my group worked as efficiently as possible.