Does Facebook and Social Capital hold up today? (Blog 6)

Ellison, Nicole B., Charles Steinfield, and Cliff Lampe. “The benefits of Facebook “friends:” Social capital and college students’ use of online social network sites.” Journal of computer-mediated communication 12.4 (2007): 1143-1168.

Summary:

This paper provides both a comprehensive literature review on social network sites and social capital then conducts a study on the bridging, bonding, and maintainability of social capital via Facebook among college-age participants and found there is a strong association of the use of Facebook and its effect on social capital. It was found that there is a robust  connection between Facebook usage and indicators of social capital.

Reflection:

For this reading assignment, I’m going to approach this work with a retrospective using the social capital features; bonding, bridging, and maintenance, presented. What’s interesting is this paper was published in 2007 where work began on at least a few months prior to the published date. Facebook is arguably a very different social network today than what it was 12 years ago. Note however that I am presenting these thoughts without any rigorous methodology and am merely using intuition and personal experience using Facebook for the past 9 years or so. 

Bridging (weak ties). To me, this feature is incredibly important. My personal use of Facebook is to keep connected with people (mostly with family) and good friends (usually more than just acquaintances). While I do not interact with them weeks or even for months, seeing how they are doing in life is like having a tap on what they are doing. It requires no conversation whatsoever unless initiated (which is rare).

Bonding (strong ties). Again an important feature. I do find myself planning activities and events with those geographically near me on Facebook.

Maintaining (connection). I think this feature more encompasses both Bridging and Bonding for the most part. My view of this there is either high or low maintenance when keeping Strong or weak ties with people on Facebook.

As you can see I did not harp to negatively on the social capitol features discussed because I believe them to still be very relevant. So tying it altogether, I think this paper holds up fairly well but with Facebook’s potential change in use it ultimately could affect the benefits of social capital. Even with all the bad rap Facebook gets these days there is still a fundamental need to focus on weak and strong ties with people that Facebook supports. I myself am friends with around 500 people. I would say I interact with ~30/500 of them a lot — including meeting in person to go and do things with. The others are more so I have a way of communication with them in case I need to reach out.

Personally, with the evolution of the internet, I think Facebook, and social media sites in general, are more detrimental than useful to the individual however. The use and feel of Facebook has changed as both society and technology changed (both for good, and again (personally) for bad). I tend to fall victim to not using my attentional resources wisely when social media is involved and that bothers me. So I have a bias to social media unless there is a positive,tangible outcome from its use.  Beyond myself, I know Facebook is a great place to share information and advertise to people and communities. Unfortunately in 2016, we witnessed a dystopian use of Facebook which influenced the US election. So there is obviously a balance that is now being investigated heavily. 

So does Facebook provide a net positive use? Potentially, but the cost nowadays may not seem worth it individually or socially.