Shuyi Sun – AR Brainstorm

My name is Shuyi Sun. I am a first year PhD student in CS. I graduated with a BS in CS from Georgia Tech, with my concentrations being People and Media. My interests and Animal Computer Interactions, Education Technology, and Aesthetic Computing.

I am intrigued by the Collaborative Brainstorming in AR project. One of my ideas for my thesis is combining aesthetic computing with immersive VR experiences, and I believe this project idea would help me either come up with a more concrete thesis or enrich my knowledge in the field. 

Just at first glance, I envisioned this project in two perspectives: using AR to enhance in person team brainstorming and long distance collaboration in brainstorming through AR. I have faced issues with looking for pen and paper to explain my thoughts clearer. I have had team Google Hangout meetings turn into frozen laggy robot choirs or screaming chaos due to ineffective communication. I think this project idea could target not only these two example issues, but more. 

At least in the VR domain, there are many applications and tools that could be used for note taking or storytelling. I feel that research involving these programs with collaborative brainstorming could result in more knowledge on both fronts.