04/22/2020 – Nan LI – Opportunities for Automating Email Processing: A Need-Finding Study

Summary:

The main objective of this paper is to investigate the potential of user needs regarding email management automation. To achieve this, the author conducted a mixed-methods need-finding study through three probes. First, the author determined the categories of email automation requirements through a workshop and then conducted a more extensive survey to deepen the understanding of the identified needs. The paper listed the primary needs identified in the workshop. Then, they also investigate the existing email automation software to detect what demands have been addressed and list 8 significant functions of email scripts on Github. Finally, they experimented with a programmable email system, YouPS, which allows users to custom email management automation using simple programmatic language. This experiment lasted a week to observe the user’s interaction with the system. Finally, the author discussed the limation and future works regarding the current email clients. 

Reflection:

I think this is an essential topic regarding the critical proportion of mail in daily study and life. Actually, I did not realize that email can play such an essential role in daily life before I came to America. Because in the place I came from, people prefer to use instant contact software, especially for a private chat or group discussion. In this year, I have gradually become accustomed to using mail, and I have developed many habits that I did not realize, but were identified by this article. For example, I would mark the read email as “unread” if that email contains important information. Even though email has the function called “flag,” but I still ignore the email that I “flag.” In contrast, mark as unread is the best way to remind me there is an important thing that I need to deal with ASAP. Therefore, when reading this article, most of my feelings like, yes, this is just what I want; or, it would be wonderful if this demand could be met. 

On the other hand, there are severy identified demands already achieved. For example, we can reference or quote from another email when sending emails, as well as aggregate responses into a poll based on the same sender. Besides, I think the email modes also implemented already (as I have received the automatic reply from faculty in our university when they are on vacation). These features make the email function more robust. 

Regarding the third probe, there is an obvious limitation, and this limitation also mentioned in the paper, which is a lack of existing non-programmer tools for automating an email. However, I think before creating GUIs, I think the more significant thing is to figure out whether people would utilize those email rules if we implement them. For example, email has the function call “flag,” which makes the vital email “stand out.” They even have the choice to use a different color to distinguish the email. Nevertheless, I still prefer to mark as “unread” when I really need to deal with that email soon. Therefore, it is worth thinking about how to implement these email rules to maximize utilization and convenience. 

Question:

1. What is your particular need for email automation? Which needs identifying in the paper most suit your needs? Do you have any other needs that not mentioned in the paper?
  2. What do you think about the approach that investigates the user’s need for email automation in the first probe? It seems that this method only allows users to brainstorm, and only 13 participants have uneven gender distribution, do you think it will work well?
  3. Actually, there are a lot of function identified in the paper have achieved nowadays, for example, reference or quote from prior emails, and summary a group of responses containing the initial responses. Do you use these features? What do you think of them?

Word count: 630

One thought on “04/22/2020 – Nan LI – Opportunities for Automating Email Processing: A Need-Finding Study

1. I like the point you make about how marking an email as ‘unread’ is very effective in ensuring that one reads an email. And I agree that it is necessary to figure out if non-programmer users would use the email rules.
    I’d like to believe that while simple tasks such as making an email ‘stand out’ can be achieved by marking the email as ‘unread’, some of the other needs mentioned in the paper such as those that fall under processing, organizing, and archiving content, might require more sophisticated methods which could only be achieved by writing additional code (for programmers) or developing a GUI (for non-programmers). But it would definitely require a study to ensure that these tools would indeed be used by non-programmers.