04/15/2020 – Bipasha Banerjee – Believe it or not: Designing a Human-AI Partnership for Mixed-Initiative Fact-Checking

Summary

The paper emphasizes the importance of a mixed-initiative model for fact-checking. It points out the advantages of humans and machines working closely together to verify the veracity of the facts. The paper’s main aim from the mixed-initiative approach was to make the system, especially the user interface, more transparent. The UI presents a claim to the user along with a list of articles related to the statement. The paper also mentions all the prediction models that have been used to create the UI experience. Finally, the authors conducted three experiments using crowd workers who had to predict the correctness of claims presented to them. In the first experiment, the users were shown the results page without the prediction of the truthfulness of the claim. Users were subsequently divided into two subgroups, where one group was given slightly more information. In the second experiment, the crowdworkers were presented with interactive UI. They, too, were further divided into two subgroups, with one group having the power to change the initial predictions. The third experiment was a gamified version of the previous experiment. The authors concluded that human-ai collaboration could be useful, although the experiment brought into light some contradictory findings. 

Reflection

I agree with the author’s approach that the transparency of a system leads to the confidence of the user using a particular system. My favorite thing about the paper is that the authors describe the systems very well. They do a very good job of describing the AI models as well as the UI design and give a good explanation to their decisions. I also enjoyed reading about the experiments that they conducted with the crowdworkers. I had a slight doubt about how the project handled latency, especially when the related articles were presented to the workers in real-time.

I also liked how the experiments were conducted in sub-groups, with a group having information not presented to the other. This shows that a lot of use cases were thought of when the experimentation took place. I agree with most of the limitations that the authors wrote. I particularly agree that if the veracity of predictions is shown to the users, there is a high chance of that influencing people. We, as humans, have a tendency to believe machines and its prediction blindly. 

I would also want to see the work being performed on another dataset. Additionally, if the crowdworkers have knowledge about the domain in the discussion, how does that affect the performance? It is definite that having knowledge would improve detecting the claim of a statement. Nonetheless, this might help in determining to what extent. A potential use case could be researchers reading claims from research papers in their domain and assessing their correctness. 

Questions

1. How would you implement such systems in your course project?
  2. Can you think of other applications of such systems?
  3. Is there any latency associated when the user is produced with the associated articles? 
  4. How would the veracity claim system extend to other domains (not news based)? How would it perform on other datasets? 
  5. Would experience (in one domain) crowdworkers perform better? The answer is likely yes, but how much? And how can this help improve targeted systems (research paper acceptance, etc.)?

One thought on “04/15/2020 – Bipasha Banerjee – Believe it or not: Designing a Human-AI Partnership for Mixed-Initiative Fact-Checking

1. I want to make a comment regard your last question. This is a really interesting assumption. First, I think the experiment conducted by the author have a little bias. Because the figure provide in the paper present a clue that the performance of user and machine highly related to the claim content itself. So if a crowd worker who assigned to judge a claim which just in his/her expertise domain, than it must be interesting for him/her the check the resource provided by the machine. It must also easy for him/her to identify the deficiency or the advantage of machine from these resource.