Subil Abraham – 04/08/2020 – Rzeszotarski and Kittur, “CrowdScape”

Quality control in crowdwork is straightforward for straightforward tasks. Tasks like transcribing text on an image is fairly easy to evaluate the quality of because there is only one right answer. Requesters can use things like gold standard tests to evaluate the output of the crowdworkers directly in order to determine if they have done a good job, or use task fingerprinting to determine if the worker behavior indicates that they are making an effort. The authors propose CrowdScape as a way to combine both types of quality analysis, worker output and behavior, through a mix of machine learning and innovative visualization methods. CrowdScape includes a dashboard that provides a birds-eye view of the different aspects of the worker behavior in the form of graphs. These graphs showcase both aggregate behaviors of all the crowdworkers as well as the timeline of the individual actions a crowd worker takes on a particular task (scrolling, clicking, typing, and so on). They conduct multiple case studies on different kinds of tasks to show that their visualizations are beneficial in separating out the workers who make an effort in producing quality output versus those who are just phoning it in. Behavioral traces identify where the crowdworker spends their time by looking at their actions and how long they spend doing that action.

CrowdScape provides an interesting visual solution to the problem of “how to evaluate if the workers are being sincere in the completion of complex tasks”. Creative work especially, where you ask the crowd worker to write something on their own, is notoriously hard to determine because there is no gold standard test that you can do. So I find the inclusion of the behavior tracking visualizer where different colored lines along a timeline represent different actions done can be useful. Someone who makes an effort in typing out will show long blocks of typing with pauses for thinking. I can see how different behavioral heuristic can be applied for different tasks in order to determine if the workers are actually doing the work. I have to admit though that I find the scatter plots kind of obtuse and hard to parse. I’m not entirely sure how we’re supposed to read them and what information they are conveying. So I feel like the interface itself could do better in communicating exactly what the graphs are doing. There is promise for releasing this as a commercial or open source product (if it isn’t already one) once the polishing of the interface is done with. One last thing is the ability to group “good” submissions by the requester and then machine learning is used by CrowdScape to find other similar “good” submissions. However, the paper only makes mention of it and do not describe how it fits in with the interface as a whole. I felt this was another shortcoming of this design.

1. What would a good interface for the grouping of the “good” output and subsequent listing of other related “good” output look like?
  2. In what kind of crowd work would CrowdScape not be useful (assuming you were able to get all the data that CrowdScape needs)?
  3. Did you find all the elements of the interface intuitive and understandable? Were there parts of it that were hard to parse?