04/08/2020 – Palakh Mignonne Jude – CrowdScape: Interactively Visualizing User Behavior and Output

SUMMARY

There are multiple challenges that exist while ensuring quality control of crowdworkers that are not always easily resolved by employing simple methods such as the use of gold standards or worker agreement. Thus, the authors of this paper propose a new technique to ensure quality control in crowdsourcing for more complex tasks. By utilizing features from worker behavioral traces as well as worker outputs, they aid researchers to better understand the crowd. As part of this research, the authors propose novel visualizations to illustrate user behavior, new techniques to explore crowdworker products, tools to group as well as classify workers, and mixed initiative machine learning models that build on a user’s intuition about the crowd. They created CrowdScape – built on top of MTurk which captures data from the MTurk API as well as a Task Fingerprinting system in order to obtain worker behavioral traces. The authors discuss various case studies such as translation, picking a favorite color, writing about a favorite place, and tagging a video and describe the benefits of CrowdScape in each case.

REFLECTION

I found that CrowdScape is a very good system especially considering the difficulty in ensuring quality control among crowdworkers in case of more complex tasks. For example, in case of a summarization task, particularly for larger documents, there is no single gold standard that can be used and it would be rare that the answers of multiple workers would match for us to use majority vote as a quality control strategy. Thus, for applications  such as this, I think it is very good that the authors proposed a methodology that combines both behavioral traces as well as worker output and I agree that it provides more insight that using either alone. I found that the example of the requester intending to have summaries written for YouTube physics tutorials was an appropriate example.

I also liked the visualization design that the authors proposed. They aimed to combine multiple views and made the interface easy for requesters to use. I especially found the use of 1-D and 2-D matrix scatter plots showing distribution of features over the group of workers that also enabled dynamic exploration to be well thought out.

I found the case study on translation to be especially well thought out – given that the authors structured the study such that they included a sentence that did not parse well in computer generated translations. I feel that such a strategy can be used in multiple translation related activities in order to more easily discard submissions by lazy workers. I also liked the case study on ‘Writing about a Favorite Place’ as it indicated the performance of the CrowdScape system in a situation wherein no two workers would provide the same response and traditional quality control techniques would not be applicable.

QUESTIONS

1. The CrowdScape system was built on top of Mechanical Turk. How well does it extend to other crowdsourcing platforms? Is there any difference in the performance?
  2. The authors mention that workers who may possibly work on their task in a separate text editor and paste the text in the end would have little trace information. Considering that this is a drawback of the system, what is the best way to overcome this limitation?
  3. The authors the case study on ‘Translation’ to demonstrate the power of CrowdScape to identify outliers. Could an anomaly detection machine learning model be trained to identify such outliers and aid the researchers better?

One thought on “04/08/2020 – Palakh Mignonne Jude – CrowdScape: Interactively Visualizing User Behavior and Output

1. The paper bases its results on the assumption that worker output and behavior define the basic attributes of quality. However, this might not be applicable in all the cases. The results can be generalized given that these assumptions hold for the platforms. However, I can see cases that these may fail. For example, during speech training of virtual assistants, the models look for diverse accents. A worker may vocalize a sentence correctly in a reasonable amount of time. However, this does not guarantee achieve the primary aim of attaining diversity.