04/08/20 – Lulwah AlKulaib-CrowdScape

Summary

The paper presents a system supporting the evaluation of complex crowd work through mixed-initiative machine learning and interactive visualization. This system proposes a solution for challenges in quality control that occur in crowdsourcing platforms. Previous work shows quality control concepts based on worker output or behavior which was not effective in evaluating complex tasks. Their suggested system combines the behavior and output of a worker to show the evaluation of complex crowd work. Their system features allow users to develop hypotheses about their crowd, test them, and refine selections based on machine learning and visual feedback. They use MTurk and Rzeszotarski and Kittur’s Task Fingerprinting system to create an interactive data visualization of the crowd workers. They posted four varieties of complex tasks: translating text from Japanese to English, picking a favorite color using an HSV color picker and writing its name, writing about their favorite place, and tagging science tutorial videos from Youtube. They conclude that the information gathered from crowd workers behavior is beneficial in reinforcing or contradicting the conception of the cognitive process that crowd workers use to complete tasks and in developing and testing mental models of the behavior of crowd workers who have good or bad outputs. This model helps  its users identify further good workers and output in a sort of positive feedback loop.

Reflection

This paper presents an interesting approach in addressing how to discover low quality responses from crowd workers. It is an interesting way to combine these two methods and makes me think of our project and what limitations might arise from following their method in logging behaviors of crowd workers. I was not thinking of disclosing to the crowdworkers about their behavior while responding is being recorded and now it’s making me look at previous work if that has affected the crowd workers response or not. I found it interesting that crowdworkers used machine translation in the Japanese to English translation task even when they knew their behavior was being recorded. I assume that since there wasn’t a requirement of speaking Japanese or the requirements were relaxed that crowd workers were able to perform the task and use tools like Google Translate. If the requirements were there, then the workers won’t be paid for the task. This has also alerted me to the importance of task requirements and explanation for crowd workers. Since some Turkers could abuse the system and give us low quality results simply because the rules weren’t so clear.

Having the authors list their limitations was useful for me. It gave me another perspective to think about how to evaluate the responses that we get in our project and what we can do to make our feedback approach better.

Discussion

• Would you use behavioral traces as an element in your project? If yes, would you tell the crowd workers that you are collecting that data? Why? Why not?
  • Do you think that implicit feedback and behavioral traces can help determine the quality of a crowd worker’s answer? Why? Or why not?
  • Do you think that collecting such feedback is a privacy issue? Why? Or Why not?

One thought on “04/08/20 – Lulwah AlKulaib-CrowdScape

1. Hello! Interesting reflections. With respect to the first discussion point, “Would you use behavioral traces as an element in your project? If yes, would you tell the crowd workers that you are collecting that data? Why? Why not?”, I feel that the answer to the first question would be dependent on the type of task being taken into consideration. For instance, if I am building a website and want usability feedback, it would be extremely helpful to get the focus points, mouse clicks and keyboard interaction to gauge how the interface is being used. With respect to the second question, I strongly feel that the requesters are obliged to inform the crowd workers that their actions are being recorded. I feel that it would not be ethically appropriate to record the worker’s activities without their consent.