04/07/20 – Sukrit Venkatagiri – CrowdScape: Interactively Visualizing User Behavior and Output

Paper: Jeffrey Rzeszotarski and Aniket Kittur. 2012. CrowdScape: interactively visualizing user behavior and output. In Proceedings of the 25th annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology (UIST ’12), 55–62. https://doi.org/10.1145/2380116.2380125

Summary:

Crowdsourcing has been used to do intelligent tasks/knowledge work at scale and for a lower price, all online. However, there are many challenges with controlling quality in crowdsourcing. This paper talks about how in prior approaches, quality control was done through algorithms evaluated against gold standard or looking at worker agreement and behavior. Yet, these approaches have many limitations, especially for creative tasks or other tasks that are highly complex in nature. This paper presents a system, called CrowdScape, to support manual or human evaluation of complex crowdsourcing task results through a visualization that is interactive and has a mixed initiative machine learning back-end. The paper describes features of the system as well as its uses through 4 very different case studies. First, a translation task from Japanese to English. The next one was a little unique, asking workers to pick their favorite color. The third was about writing about their favorite place, and finally the last one was tagging a video. Finally, the paper concludes with a discussion of the findings.

Reflection:

Overall, I really liked the paper and the CrowdScape system, and I found the multiple case studies really interesting. I especially liked the fact that the case studies varied in terms of complexity, creativity, and open-endedness. However, I found the color-picker task a little off-beat and wonder why the authors chose that task. 

I also appreciate that the system is built on top of existing work, e.g. Amazon Mechanical Turk (a necessity), as well as Rzeszotarski and Kittur’s Task Fingerprinting system to capture worker behavioral  traces. The scenario describing the more general use case was also very clear and concise. The fact that the system, CrowdScape, also utilizes two diverse data sources—as opposed to just one—is interesting. This makes triangulating the findings more easy, as well as observing and discrepancies in the data. More specifically, the CrowdScape system looks at worker’s behavioral traces as well as their output. This allows one to differentiate between workers in terms of their “laziness/eagerness” as well as the actual quality of the output. The system also provides an aggregation of the two features, and all of these are displayed as visualizations which makes it easy for a requester to view tasks and easily discard/include work.

However, I wonder how useful these visualizations might be for tasks such as surveys, or tasks that are less open-ended. Further, although the visualizations are useful, I wonder if they should be used in conjunction with gold standard datasets or not, and how useful that combination would be. Although the paper demonstrates the potential uses of the system via case studies, it does not demonstrate whether real users say it is useful. Thus, an evaluation by real-world users might help.

Questions:

1. What do you think about the case study evaluation? Are there ways to improve it? How?
  2. What features of the system would you use as a requester?
  3. What are some drawbacks to the system?

One thought on “04/07/20 – Sukrit Venkatagiri – CrowdScape: Interactively Visualizing User Behavior and Output

1. In response to your question 3, I think that the system might be a little too complicated. Looking at the screenshots of the system that they show in the paper, the system seems to show a lot of information. In fact, I think it almost shows too much information. I think that it would be very hard for a human to parse through all of the information that is shown on that screen. Even if it isn’t too much information and it could be easily understood by a human, I think that the would take time and practice. But, if this system ends up having an extremely high start up cost where all the task evaluators need to be taught how to use this complicated system, it might not be saving as much time as they say it does.