3/4/20 – Jooyoung Whang – Pull the Plug? Predicting If Computers or Humans Should Segment Images

In this paper, the authors attempt to appropriately distribute human and computer resources for creating segmentation of foreground objects in an image to achieve highly precise segmentations. They introduce that the segmentation process consists of roughly segmenting the image (initialization), and then going through another fine-grained iteration to come up with the final result. They repeat their study for both of the steps. To figure out where to allocate human resources, the authors’ proposed an algorithm that tries to score the acquired segmentations by detecting: highly jagged edges on the boundary, non-compact segmentations, near-edge segmentation locations, and segmentation area ratio to the full image. The authors find that a mix of humans and computers for image segmentation performs better than when completely using one or the other.

I liked the authors’ proposed algorithm to detect when a segmentation fails. It was interesting to see that they focused on visible features and qualities that humans can see instead of relying on deep neural networks that are often hard to interpret the internal workings of. At the same time, I am a little concerned about whether the proposed visual features for failed segmentations are enough to generalize and scale for all kinds of images. For example, the authors note that failed segmentations often have highly jagged edges. What if the foreground object (or an animal in this case) was a porcupine? The score would be fairly low even when an algorithm correctly segments the creature from the background. Of course, the paper reports that the method generalized well for everyday images and biomedical images, so my concern may be a trivial one.

As I am not experienced in the field of image segmentation analysis, I wondered if there were any case where an image contained more than one foreground objects and only one of them is of interest to a researcher. From my short knowledge about fore and background separation, a graph search is done by treating the image as a graph of connected pixels to find pixels that stand out. It does not care about “objects of interest.” It made me curious if it was possible to give additional semantic information in the process.

The followings are the questions that I had while reading the paper:

1. Do you think the qualities that PTP looks for is enough to measure the score of the quality of segmented images? What other properties would a failed segmentation have? One quality I can think of is that failed segmentations often have disjoint parts in the segmentations.

2. Can you think of some cases where PTP could fail? Would there be any case where the score for a segmentation score really low even if the segmentation was done correctly?

3. As I’ve written in my reflection, are there methods that allow segmentation algorithms to consider the “interest” for an object? For example, if an image contained a car and a cat both in the foreground and the researcher was interested in the cat, would the algorithm be able to only separate out the cat?