02/26/2020 – Sukrit Venkatagiri – Interpreting Interpretability

Paper: Harmanpreet Kaur, Harsha Nori, Samuel Jenkins, Rich Caruana, Hanna Wallach, and Jennifer Wortman Vaughan. 2020. Interpreting Interpretability: Understanding Data Scientists’ Use of Interpretability Tools for Machine Learning. In CHI 2020, 13.

Summary: There have been a number of tools developed to aid in increasing the interpretability of ML models, which are used in a wide variety of applications today. However, very few of these tools have been studied with a consideration of the context of use and evaluated by actual users. This paper presents a user-centered evaluation of two ML interpretability tools using a combination of interviews, contextual inquiry, and a large-scale survey with data scientists.

From the interviews, they found six key themes: missing values, temporal changes in the data, duplicate data masked as unique, correlated features, adhoc categorization, and difficulty of trying to debug or identify potential improvements. From the contextual inquiry with a glass-box model (GAM) and a post-hoc explanation technique (SHAP), they found a misalignment between data scientists’ understanding of the tools and their intended use. And finally, from the surveys, they found that participants’ mental models differed greatly, and that their interpretations of these interpretability tools also varied on multiple axes. The paper concludes with a discussion on bridging HCI and ML communities and designing more interactive interpretability tools.

Reflection:

Overall, I really liked the paper and it provided a nuanced as well as broad overview of data scientists’ expectations and interpretations of interpretability tools. I especially appreciate the multi-stage, mixed-methods approach that is used in the paper. In addition, I commend the authors for providing access to their semi-structured interview guide, as well as other study materials, and that they had pre-registered their study. I believe other researchers should strive to be this transparent in their research as well.

More specifically, it is interesting that the paper first leveraged a small pilot study to inform the design of a more in-depth “contextual inquiry” and a large-scale study. However, I do not believe the methods that are used for the “contextual inquiry” to be a true contextual inquiry, rather, it is more like a user study involving semi-structured interview. This is especially true since many of the participants were not familiar with the interpretability tools used in the study, which means that it was not their actual context of use/work.

I am also unsure how realistic the survey is, in terms of mimicking what someone would actually do, and appreciate that the authors acknowledge the same in the limitations section. A minor concern is also the 7-point scale that is used in the survey that ranges from “not at all” to “extremely,” which does not follow standard survey science practices.

I wonder what would happen if the participants were a) nudged to not take the visualizations at face value or to employ “system 2”-type thinking, and/or b) asked to use the tool for a longer. Indeed, they do notice some emergent behavior in the findings, such as a participant questioning whether the tool was actually an interpretability tool. I also wonder what would have happened if two people had used the tool side-by-side, as a “pair programming” exercise. 

It’s also interesting how varied participants’ backgrounds, skills, baseline expectations, and interpretations were. Certainly, this problem has been studied elsewhere, and I wonder whether the findings in this paper are a result of not only the failure of these tools to be designed in a user-centered manner, but also the broad range in technical skills of the users themselves. What would it mean to develop a tool for users with such a range in skillsets, especially statistical and mathematical skills? This certainly calls for increased certification—at the behest of increased demand for data scientists—within the ML software industry.

I appreciate the point surrounding Kahneman’s system 1 and system 2 work in the discussion, but I believe this section is possibly too short. I acknowledge that there are page restrictions, which meant that the results could not have been discussed in as much depth as is warranted for such a formative study.

Overall, this was a very valuable study that was conducted in a methodical manner and I believe the findings to be interesting to present and future developers of ML interpretability tools, as well as the HCI community that is increasingly interested in improving the process of designing such tools.

Questions:

1. Is interpretability only something to be checked off a list, and not inspected at depth?
  2. How do you inspect the interpretability of your models, if at all? When do you know you’ve succeeded?
  3. Why is there a disconnect between the way these tools are intended to be used and how they are actually used? How can this be fixed?
  4. Do you think there needs to be greater requirements in terms of certification/baseline understanding and skills for ML engineers?

One thought on “02/26/2020 – Sukrit Venkatagiri – Interpreting Interpretability

1. Sukrit, nice points! Here I mainly address your question 2. What comes first to my mind is to find out which features have more weights in the decision-making policies of the model. Then, I can examine whether the most important features make sense on the given task. For example, if I develop a deep learning model for image classification to identify the pictures with dogs, I would expect the model relies on features related to dogs (ear shape, nose, hair, etc.) instead of environmental features (e.g. lawn, a large amount of the images have dogs playing on the lawn). To make the black-box model more interpretable, I can highlight the most important features seen by the model and inspect the rationality of using those features for the task. Also, another approach I can think about is to analyze the samples incorrectly classified by the model and try to understand the policies behind the model’s decision making. By doing that, I can get a better understanding of the error boundary of the model and have an idea of what type of errors (FN, FP, or more specific) it would most likely to make.