02/19/2020 – Sukrit Venkatagiri – In Search of the Dream Team

Paper:  Sharon Zhou, Melissa Valentine, and Michael S. Bernstein. 2018. In Search of the Dream Team: Temporally Constrained Multi-Armed Bandits for Identifying Effective Team Structures. In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’18), 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1145/3173574.3173682

Summary: This paper introduces a system called DreamTeam that explores a search space for the optimal design of teams in an online setting. The system does this through multi-armed bandits with temporal constraints, a type of algorithm that manages the timing of exploration–exploitation trade-offs across multiple bandits simultaneously. This answers a classic question in HCI and CSCW: when should teams favor one approach over another? The paper contributes a computationally identifiable method of good team structures, a system that manifests this, and an evaluation with improvements of 46%. The paper concludes with a discussion of computational partners for improving group work, such as aiding us by pointing out our biases and inherent limitations, and helping us replan when the environment shifts.

Reflection:

I appreciate the way they evaluated the system and conducted randomized controlled trials for each of their experimental conditions. The evaluation is done on a collaborative intellective task, and I wonder how different the findings would be if they had evaluated it using a creative task, instead of an intellective or analytic task. Perhaps there is a different optimal “dream team” based not only on the people but the task itself. 

I also appreciate the thorough system description and how the system was integrated within Slack as opposed to having it be its own standalone system. This increases the real world generalizability of the system and also means that it is easier for others to build on top of. In addition, hiring workers in real-time would have been hard, and it’s unclear how synchronous/asynchronous the study was.

One interesting approach is considering both types of bandits simultaneously, exploration and exploitation. I wonder how the system might have fared if teams were given the choice to explore each on their own—probably worse. 

Another interesting finding is the evaluation with strangers on MTurk. I wonder if the results would have differed if it was a) in a co-located setting and/or b) among coworkers who already knew each other. 

Finally, the paper is nearly two years old, and I don’t see any follow up work evaluating this system in the wild. I wonder why or why not. Perhaps there is not much to gain through an in-the-wild evaluation, or that an in-the-wild evaluation did not fare well. Either way, it would be interesting to read about the results—good or bad.

Questions:

1. Have you thought about building a Slack integration for your project instead of a standalone system?
  2. How might this system function differently if it were for a creative task such as movie animation?
  3. How would you evaluate such a system in the wild?

One thought on “02/19/2020 – Sukrit Venkatagiri – In Search of the Dream Team

1. Good point on the paper not being followed up to a test in the wild. I was surprised that they haven’t tried, too.
    In my opinion, it was an ambitious paper that presented a novel idea, but I’m not sure about how widely applicable it is.
    I think that to evaluate a system in real life, team members must be committed to self-reporting some qualitative values and proposing a method of automatic collection for the progress maybe?
    I think it’s not an easy task, and that might be the reason we still haven’t seen a follow-up.