Reading Reflection 4

Summary

The article “Antisocial Behavior in Online Discussion Communities” studies antisocial users. They study their behavior in different settings and the feedback they receive. This helps people spot antisocial users at an early stage. The study tries to answer three questions about antisocial users. They ask if they are created or born antisocial, if reactions promote antisocial behavior, and if antisocial users be spotted at an early stage. This study was data driven and the data proves the point that antisocial users are a problem. The community’s response is only making it worse however; there is a way to spot them early.

Reflection

This article ties with the team project my group and I are interested in working at. We want to catch the antisocial users and try to identify them with a label so other users will know to stay clear of that user. We will be using a way to scrub through the posts the user puts up and look for vulgar language or degrading terms. Instead of banning them, we would like to give them a chance. This means they are still able to stay online but the public will know of their reputation. This means they need to stop with the antisocial behavior or they will continue being blocked by other users. I believe this article showed me how much data can prove a point and help analyze user’s behavior. This is similar to what my group and I must accomplish to understand where to head with our project.

Questions

• What should people look at to determine if a user is antisocial?
  • If one person is being antisocial, is there a chance that there are multiple in that one conversation to bring an argument?
    • Or can the antisocial user influence the rest of the community?
  • What difference in punishment should an antisocial user face versus an antisocial person in the real world?